Terra Verde Homestead is a 10 acre farm in North Wellington County, 20 km south-east of Mount Forest. 1.5 acres of the farm is dedicated to a market garden and Community Supported Agriculture (CSA). We also raise a variety of heirloom chickens and turkeys, Indian Runner Ducks, honeybees, and are developing fruit and nut orchards, perennial berries, and flowers. We also have a menagerie of animals including Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats, sheep, and a llama.
We aim to foster a sustainable land ethic and use only holistic methods and inputs on our farm. Our farm principles are:
- Use certified organic seeds
- Follow permaculture methods to ensure a sound ecosystem
- Increase soil health and farm yields by using such practices as green manure, cover crops, and organic amendments
- Encourage plant and animal diversity through the planting of native wildflowers and provision of habitat
- Moderate climate effects with the use of windbreaks, alley cropping, and silvopasture
- Raise animals in a caring and natural manner with free access to fresh air, water, and outdoor space
- Bring food production back to the community and fostering positive and transparent relationships with consumers
- Make the growing, harvesting, and sharing of healthy food a joyful experience!