Mount Forest Cemetery, consisting of 21 acres, is located in 1km east of Mount Forest, just off of Sligo Rd E. The site was purchased in the 1880’s, and has always been kept in a park-like condition by volunteer citizens.
In 1937, a wrought iron fence was erected across the front. New pillars and gates were erected in 1958 by the McKellar family, in memory of the pioneer Neil McKellar. In 1947, a Mortuary was built, and dedicated on July 6th, on the occasion of the Old Boys Reunion. Family and friends gathered in the chapel for a service before a loved one was buried. In winter, when burials were not possible, caskets were stored in the lower area of the chapel.
On January 1, 1963 the cemetery was taken over by the Town, and a Cemetery Board was appointed.
Cemetery records may be found online.
Cemetery dates from 1879. Mount Forest Cemetery interment register, 1879 - 1926 has been archived at the Wellington County Museum and Archives. The register has been indexed.