The inscription on the plaque reads:
Founding of Arthur – The Town of Arthur was named for Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington. It was the southern terminus of the Garafraxa “colonization road” to Owen Sound. Settlers arrived in 1840 but the townsite was not officially surveyed until 1846. The establishment of saw and grist mills hastened growth in the community which was also the natural market centre for the area’s agriculture production. In 1851 a post office was opened and the first church and school were organized. A weekly newspaper, The Enterprise, was established and a Division Court met at Arthur. Economic development was further encouraged when, in 1872, a station of the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway was opened in the community. That year Arthur was incorporated as a village.
The plaque is located In Arthur, on the southwest corner of George and Francis streets one block north of Road 109