Mrs. H.H. Stovel began gathering children into her home on Sunday afternoon for Bible lessons in 1858. In 1860, a meeting was held in the home of Mr. & Mrs. Stovel, for the purpose of organizing a Baptist church. Under the leadership of Reb. Alexander Stewart it became a congregation. They first met in the Orange Hall, later in the Temperance Hall and the Free Kirk until their church was built on Wellington Street, near the foundry of Hartley, Ashley & Co. It was a frame plastered building. The congregation grew, and the present church was erected in 1884. In 1917, the front of the church including the baptistery was remodelled.
First Baptist Church is a lively, evangelical family of believers who seek to spread God's word and show His grace and mercy through daily living and devotion. Sunday services 10:30 a.m.